For information about the Minority Affairs Committee, please see the Minority Affairs Committee page.
- FASEB MARC Travel Awards
- Burroughs Wellcome Travel Fellowships
Monday 1 August, 5:45–7:30 pm (open to all). Oregon Convention Center, Portland Ballroom 252.
Everyone is welcome. The featured speaker for this event will be John Alderete, Ph.D. (Washington State University, Pullman Washington), whose presentation, “Trichomonas vaginalis, Reproductive Health and a Minority Scientist’s Experiences,” will address, in part, the genesis of his interest in research, his experiences forming two biotechnology companies, and his experiences in SACNAS and other activities that have shaped his career. A reception will follow. (Organized by the SSR Minority Affairs Committee; financial support provided by the FASEB MARC Program through a grant from the Institute of General Medical Sciences, National Institutes of Health. T36-GM08637.)
There is no fee to attend the Symposium; it is open to all interested, registered attendees of the SSR Annual Meeting.
The MAC exhibit space at the SSR meeting will be staffed by faculty and trainees (including Travel Fellows). The exhibit space will provide the following:
- Announcement of the recipients of the Burroughs Wellcome Travel Fellowships
- Information regarding the Minority Affairs Symposium & Reception
- Distribution of information regarding training and funding opportunities for minorities
- Location for networking, with a poster board on which visitors may leave comments and view photographs from previous MAC activities
- Computer with internet service to search for information about funding opportunities, graduate programs, SSR functions, and more