Trainee Research Awards Recognize the three best posters and the three best short oral talk presentations. Supported by SSR.
SSR Trainee Research Awards – Platform Competition. New This Year! There will be two platform competitions; one for Pre-Doctoral Finalists and one for Post-Doctoral finalists:
Post-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 10:30AM. Pre-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 1:30PM. The Awards Committee will select a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner in each category (Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral). The SSR Pre-Doctoral Platform Awards are supported by Dr. T. Rajendra Kumar through the Makowski Family Endowment at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.
SSR Trainee Research Awards – Poster Competition will include separate categories for Pre-Doctoral trainees and Post-Doctoral trainees. Poster finalists will present during one of the three Poster Sessions:
- Friday July 10, 8:00-10:00AM
- Saturday, July 11, 8:00-10:00AM
- Sunday, July 12, 8:00-10:00AM
The Awards Committee will select a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner in each category (Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral).
Trainees named as Finalists for a Trainee Research Award Competition (either Poster or Oral) may also be selected to receive either a Lalor Foundation Merit Award or a USDA–NIFA–AFRI Merit Award.
- The candidate must be an SSR Trainee whose membership dues are paid and mentor's signature is on file in the SSR Business Office by the abstract submission deadline February 24, 2020.
- The candidate must not have won an SSR Trainee Research Award (1st, 2nd, or 3rd place; Platform or Poster) at the previous SSR Annual Meeting).
- The candidate may be a predoctoral trainee, a postdoctoral trainee who has completed a doctoral degree within four years prior to the submission deadline, or a physician-scientist who is currently in a mentored research training program.
- The candidate must be submitting an abstract for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- The abstract must be based on work performed primarily by the candidate (presenter) for the award
Follow these steps while submitting the abstract online:
- Select “Call for Abstract”
- Select “I am a Trainee”
- Select “SSR Trainee Merit Award”
- Then select “SSR Trainee Research Award”
The Awards Committee evaluates all abstracts entered in competition for Trainee Research Awards according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of abstract and the title
- Innovation (technical, conceptual)
- Scientific rigor in study design and analysis
- Overall impact of the work
The Committee selects six finalists per each category (predoctoral/ postdoctoral) to compete for best oral presentation and six finalists per each category (predoctoral/ postdoctoral) for best poster presentation. Finalists are notified by e-mail.
Platform Finalists - Finalists will be scheduled for presentation during two separate sessions. Post-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 10:30AM. Pre-Doctoral finalists will present on Saturday, July 11th at 1:30PM. The order of presentation in each session will be randomly assigned.
Poster Finalists – Finalists may also be chosen for Flash Talks and will present their posters during one of the regular poster sessions. Poster finalists will be identified during the poster sessions with a blue ribbon.
The criteria for final evaluation of the presentations are:
- Merit of the study
- Presentation format
- Visual aids
- Response to questions during discussion
The Awards Committee determines the First- (USD $500), Second- (USD $300), and Third- (USD $200) place winners in each category (Pre-Doctoral and Post-Doctoral); the recipients are recognized at a special ceremony at the Annual Meeting.