The Trainee Research Awards recognize the best papers presented at the Annual Meeting by predoctoral or postdoctoral trainees.
Trainees named as Finalists for a Trainee Research Award Competition (either Poster or Oral) may also be selected to receive either a Lalor Foundation Merit Award or a USDA–NIFA–AFRI Merit Award.
- The candidate must be an SSR Trainee whose membership dues are paid and mentor's signature is on file in the SSR Business Office by the abstract submission deadline (February 15, 2019).
- The candidate must not have previously won an SSR Trainee Research Award (1st, 2nd, or 3rd place; Oral [Platform] or Poster).
- The candidate may be a predoctoral trainee, a postdoctoral trainee who has completed a doctoral degree within four years prior to the submission deadline, or a physician-scientist who is currently in a mentored research training program; the candidate must be submitting an abstract for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- SSR Trainee Research Awards for Posters will include separate categories for predoctoral trainees and postdoctoral trainees (1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each category).
- The abstract must be based on work performed primarily by the candidate (presenter) for the award.
- While submitting the abstract online, the candidate must have checked “Yes” in the “SSR Trainee Merit Awards” section and then check the box next to SSR Trainee Research Award.
- To be considered for the SSR Trainee Research Award—Oral Competition, the candidate must have checked “Oral Talk or Poster” under Presentation Type.
The Awards Committee evaluates all abstracts entered in competition for Trainee Research Awards according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of the abstract and title
- Innovation (technical, conceptual)
- Scientific rigor in study design and analysis
- Overall impact of the work.
The Committee selects six finalists to compete for best oral presentation and six finalists each per category (predoctoral/ postdoctoral) for best poster presentation. Finalists are notified by e-mail.
The finalists’ abstracts are scheduled for presentation randomly at the meeting without consideration of status in the competition. Oral finalists will present their talks during the Trainee Research Award - Platform Competition on Thursday, July 18th 1:30-3:00PM.
Poster finalists may also be chosen for Flash Talks and will present their posters during one of the regular poster sessions. Poster finalists will be identified during the poster sessions with a blue ribbon. The criteria for final evaluation of the presentations are:
- merit of the study,
- presentation format,
- visual aids, and
- response to questions during discussion.
The Awards Committee determines the First- (USD $500), Second- (USD $300), and Third- (USD $200) place winners; the recipients are recognized at a special ceremony at the Annual Meeting.
While submitting the abstract online, indicate “Yes” in the SSR Trainee Merit Awards Section and then select the “SSR Trainee Research Award” to be considered for this award.
For a list of all first-, second-, and third-place winners of these awards, please see Research Platform Awardees and Research Poster Awardees.